Saturday, February 13, 2016

My Valentine

Yesterday marked the beginning of Valentines Day weekend.  We had the absolute best gift a couple could ever receive on Valentines Day, a beautiful little baby girl; so we will celebrated last night by an amazing dinner out with some friends. It was an amazing night out; fun, relaxing...lots of laughs!  Just what we needed! Through all the challenges that life has thrown at us, my husband has been a constant source of strength.  He powers through the obstacles and made a life for us when there was nothing there, rebuilding a business from scratch; keeping together our family when we were all looking around not knowing where in the world we were going to land.  He has become our hero,  slowly and surely making sure we are all safe and cared for.
They say when you get married, that very minute the one you marry begins to change.  So, by now, almost 20 years in we have probably been married to many different people! Yet somehow, by God's ever present grace, we are still together and learning to fall in love over and over.  He has loved me unconditionally and it has only brought me closer to my Savior.  I am so incredibly grateful for him and thankful that God has given me a gift in him.  It takes commitment and courage to remain faithful to that covenant and I can't wait to see what this next stage in life will bring us.  So one thing about me when we first got married was I was a hopeless romantic, but  I married a hard Irishman! Imagine that for a moment!!  Well I haven't really let myself be true to that over the years, trying to be more what I thought he needed.  That's never a good idea.  That only brings hardship.  My husband has seen me for who I am over the years, and after all this time and me trying to be who I thought he needed me to be has loved me and has changed to be the man who I need. And I can only pray that God is doing the same in my heart towards him.  He has softened, and I am learning to soften again. He really is the romantic sort, deep down! Now I have outed you, honey....let's see what you can do!  Marriage is a story of redemption.  One God meant to mirror that of Christ and His church and we can see that more clearly the longer we are married.  Of course we could probably write a book after almost 20 years, and this example is a small one in comparison to all that God has done, and still needs to do in our sinful broken lives. In 20 years, a lot can happen!  I am thankful to our Savior who holds our lives in His hands and gives us His love when we deserve none. One thing he did for me recently is check off one of my bucket list items! Something I have wanted to do since I was about 15 years old... see Garth Brooks!  Of course he sang one of my most favorite love songs ever and one when I hear of course I think of my Valentine!  I had to share for Valentines Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment